Norton World's Best Road Holder, Advertising Metal Sign, Repro.
Norton World's Best Road Holder, Advertising Metal Sign, Repro, The Unapproachable Norton, Winner Of 20 T.T.S. Est 1898, Norton Motors LTD, Bracebridge St, Birmingham, England.
The first Nortons were produced in England by James Lansdowne Norton in 1902-1903 marketed, as Energette motorcycles and powered by French Clement engines. By 1908 the Norton concern was producing its own 633cc side valve engine which propelled the very successful Big Four.
During the 1930s Norton dominated road racing, winning almost all the major TT races from 1931 to 1938. After the war, their success on the track continued until the late fifties when Italian multis heralded the end of an era for Norton.
Their commercial success continued unabated, however, until the Asian onslaught of the late '60s put the writing on the wall for the antiquated English manufacturing techniques.
The Norton marque is now owned by British businessman Stuart Garner of Norton Racing Ltd. News broke in October 2008 that the UK company had purchased all of the trademarks and recent work relating to the Norton, Manx, Atlas, Commando, and Dominator.
Item Code - SIG17B180BCA
Width: 12 1/2" Height: 16" Depth: 1/8" Weight: 325 g